Monday 28 September 2015

Sermon 2: Wendy's sermon given at Allerton church

Acts 16 6-15 Conversion.  27 September, Allerton

We are thinking today about conversion.
We hear about Paul and a woman called Lydia in the city of Philippi.
Lydia was a dealer in purple cloth and the dye for purple was made from a juice found in minute quantities in shellfish.
So it was very expensive, worth its weight in silver it was said.
Lydia was not Jewish, but she believed in God.
She’s what the Jews knew as a ’God fearer’ - someone who worships in the synagogue, but hasn’t converted completely.

Philippi, did not have a synagogue. The people met at the river on the Sabbath to pray. Paul found Lydia by the river.

Now, we are told Lydia has had her heart opened by the Holy Spirit. This enabled her to hear the message of God.
Paul was also in a good place. He had heard God and went where the spirit called him.
So – Lydia was converted. She had an open heart, the right words were spoken, she responded and was then baptised.

If a person has an open heart and a desire to hear – then they are ready, just waiting for the right words or actions to touch their hearts. The Holy Spirit convicts them. 

So there I could leave it. But no, there is surely more.

We have been asked to think about conversion today.

In our Home group we talked about personal testimony and how powerful it can be. We have talked about how we may draw people into the church. 

So a little of my journey – my conversion. The whole story would take too long. Here are the pithy facts. Some of you know some of it – but there is reason for saying it again – with a slightly different slant.   

I was living in Malawi a county in Africa with my husband and then two children. Life was good. Lots of friends, lots of fun. But I began to notice a few of my friends seemed different.
Difficult to say how – just different.

There was an Anglican church in the town of Zomba where we lived. One day, a neighbour called and gave me a copy of the parish magazine. I put it down. Then one day I picked it up. I just knew I had to go to church.

So I started a pattern of going to Evensong on my own. I began to sink into the rhythm of the service. 
I became curious. I invited the parish priest to our home. I was full of questions. We talked and talked.
Life went on. But something was tugging at me. My friends who I knew to be Christians, had something I did not have. And I wanted it. But how?
I continued to go to church. I then had a neck injury. It was really quite bad.  These friends said they were praying for me. 
And so to cut a very long story short, I was actually healed of what was in fact a serious neck injury.  I was new to such things. So what now?

I know I wanted to be like my friends. I wanted to have what they had. It seemed like a sort of peace – even when things were going wrong and an abundance of love. 
I had not been baptised as a child so I was baptised. I knew it was a special happening.

What next?

Well, I was then confirmed by Bishop Arden, a great character. He lived some distance from Zomba but we arrived and had a lovely tea with him and his wife on their lawn. Then he put on his full robes and the words of confirmation were spoken over me.
When he touched my head I felt a shock of warmth going through me.
I did not fully realise what had happened.
I was dazed and I remember the Bishop smiling and saying ‘The Holy Spirit had moved mightily. You now have work to do.’

Still I did not really understand the full implications.

And so it was that over the next weeks and months it became obvious to all and to me that something really had happened to me.  
It was as if I walked on air and people said I looked radiant. That was the start – a glorious start of my Christian journey.
That was my conversion.

I was seeking. I had an open heart for something that I did not really understand. But I saw something in others.
That something was LOVE.

Now, here are the tough questions.
How does the church look today? Do we see Love?

The church at all levels is made up of people. 
As such, we all fall short – we all sin.
Are we able to be open and honest one with another if there is hurt or pain?
Can we see the others point of view?
Can we say sorry? Can we forgive?
How well do we love? 

Sadly, very sadly, some of the actions within the workings of the church in general fall short to that which is expected in the world of work.
That is not good enough. Who will join us if that is seen? 
How we deal with our shortcomings and failings will have an impact upon the whole.
It is not unusual to hear someone say – “Oh well, that’s the church for you”. As if to excuse actions that fall short of love.
That is not good enough.

How can we possibly draw others in if they do not see love?
Will they know us by our love?
It was love that I saw.
We know there is a hunger for spirituality in the world out there. People are looking, and seeking.
Will we draw them to us?
Will they be drawn to Jesus through us?
Do they see the love of Jesus in us? 
Are we ready for them?
Will we hear the desires of their heart?
So – how to convert others?

It happened to Lydia. It happened to me. It has happened to countless others.  It will go on happening.
It happens to young and old alike. No age barrier. 
Are we praying for more to join us? 
What more might we do?
The Holy Spirit is the one who brings that love of God into us and others.
 So, let’s start with us. Are we willing to allow him to change us too?
To melt us and mould us to be better people for him.

I would like to end today with handing over to God.

May we please sing – or if you prefer just listen to the words of Spirit of our Living God.

Spirit of the living God,
Fall afresh on me.
Spirit of the living God,
Fall afresh on me.
Melt me, mould me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God,
Fall afresh on me

So let’s be still.
Let the words be sung. 

Let God be God.


May he show us how to love. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment